‘Won’t let bad times return’, vows CM Murad on Karachi blast – Pakistan

Advertisement
Advertisement

Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah on Friday vowed not to allow “bad times” to return to Karachi a day after a bomb blast killed at least one person and left 10 injured.

Last night, an explosion ripped through the bustling Karachi market of Saddar near the oldest United Bakery site.

The blast caused extensive damage to property, including vehicles, in the area. An image from the scene showed a Pakistani Coast Guard vehicle also damaged in the blast.

Last night, Director Karachi Murtaza Wahab quoted health workers at the city’s Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Center (JPMC) as saying that most of the injuries were caused by “football”.

Speaking at an event in Karachi today, CM Sindh said one person who died was a 24-year-old medical student. “He was a medical student enrolled in the program at Jinnah University.”

Of the 10 people injured in the attack, Murad continued, eight were released last night, while the rest are safe. Earlier reports said nine people were injured.

Shah vowed that the government would pursue terrorists “everywhere and in the Karachi area and” eradicate them “, saying that even killing one person in the province was unacceptable.

The incident comes less than a month after a bomb blast at the University of Karachi, Confucius Institute, killed three Chinese academics and a bakkie driver. The illegal Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) force claimed responsibility for the attack.

Commenting on the criminals after the Karachi attack, Shah stated: “Sometimes they call it Baloch. [behind the attacks], sometimes by an organization from Sindh. I strongly believe that terrorists have no religion or language. They are not Pakistanis. Or with people. “

He was apparently referring to reports that the terrorist attack in Karachi was caused by the Sindhudesh Revolution (SRA), although he did not name the group.

“These people are attacking teachers and a 24-year-old student. Who are they? They can’t be human,” he stressed, referring to both the KU and Saddar incidents.

The minister recalled that Karachi had witnessed a “very bad” time and vowed, on behalf of the Sindh government and the people of the province, that “I will not allow time to go back”.

After 2013, he continued, peace and stability returned to Karachi. “Today, the city is in a better position to address crime. The nation as a whole has unitedly fought against terrorism.”

Shah also said that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif wanted to revive the National Counter Terrorism Authority (Nacta) as it was inactive, stressing that terrorism was a “cross-border” issue. He reiterated that the people must, once again, fight terrorism together.

IED ‘attached to motorcycle’

Sindh Inspector General of Police (IGP) Mushtaq Ahmed Mahar told Sindh chief minister to use an explosive device (IED), the last spokesman said in a statement yesterday.

According to the first probation report, it appears the IED is attached to the motorcycle, the IGP was quoted as saying.

Karachi police chief Ghulam Nabi Memon told Parhlo yesterday that the nature of the shooting would be confirmed. He said it would be “premature” to say that the bombing was aimed at a Pakistani Coast Guard vehicle. He said, however, that it was not a typical maritime agency car.

DIG-South Sharjeel Kharal, in an interview with reporters last night, stated: “According to information received so far, the device went off at 11:20 pm. So far, I do not think of any particular institution or vehicle. it was intentional. “

Leave a Comment